Sunday 7 September 2008

When it rains it pours

What a weekend!

First I found out on Friday that I was unsuccessful in a promotion bid I'd made the day before. It was for the position Head of Quality and Compliance for Talk Talk Group. Ahh well. The guy who got the job is great and I look forward to working with him (for him, actually).

Then Friday night was the AOL summer party, celebrating 10 years in Waterford. It was a Venetian themed masked ball in a giant marquee tent. Food. A band. A DJ. Dancing. Booze. Inappropriate behaviour. All in all, really good craic. Thought I'd be coming home on the first bus, but was still there for the last one.

Which left me in no great shape for a Saturday preparing for Daddy Mike's arrival this week. I'm afraid I wasn't much help to the PK. But I did make a mean teriyaki mackerel dinner, in my defense.

Then the main event: Waterford made the All-Ireland Hurling Finals, played today. PK and I actually went to the semi-finals in Dublin a few weeks back where the Deise took on greatly favoured Tipperary and won a close-fought, epic thriller of a match. Many pundits called it one of the best games in decades. So today they took on the Kilkenny Cats, the regining champions and overwhelming favourites. In fact Kilkenny has won 7 of the last 10 All-Ireland finals. Waterford, on the other hand hadn't made it to the finals since 1963, and hadn't won since 1959. The county has been going mad for the past few weeks, with blue and white flags and banners everywhere. Unfortunately, the Deise's run ended in a rather dramatic fashion, with the Cats walloping the good guys. We watched it at Daddy Lad's house, with his wife, child, mom, and dad in residence. Grand Daddy Lad left shortly after the half in disgust. We suffered through to the end and now eagerly await next year's chance for redemption...

The abysmal weather broke for the day and we enjoyed a bit of sun for a change, at least. Daddy Mike arrives in Dublin on Tuesday: we'll catch him up Thursday night. From there? We'll see. Stay tuned.

Slainte.